Apply for BREMF 2021: Myths & Legends
The Covid-19 pandemic has been disastrous for live music worldwide but it has led to a number of online innovations. We had the choice, in 2020, to cancel altogether, or to re-imagine the festival in digital format.
Continuing digital into 2021
We now realise the advantages a digital format can offer. It opens our work to the world and also allows imaginative ways of creating programmes.
We have therefore decided to continue in 2021 with some digital programmes in a hybrid festival that we hope can also include live events. Nobody yet knows how the pandemic will unfold over the next few years, but being able to adapt will be key to the survival of the arts.
We are now inviting applications for the 2021 festival in both formats, and following the theme of Myths and Legends. Digital format will allow us to consider more programmes from overseas artists, but these should not be just filmed concerts. Please explore the full possibilities of the medium!
Applying to perform at BREMF
- We programme around specific themes for each festival
- Our programming aims to create new audiences for early music. Applicants who take this into account are more likely to be successful.
- We only programme young artists through our annual auditions for our Early Music Live! scheme
- We are less likely to take off the peg programmes unless they are part of a funded tour and can work within our theme. We often collaborate with ensembles to build programmes that will resonate with our themes and stimulate new ways of presenting and contextualising music.
- With no core funding we are always operating on a tight budget and can rarely afford to programme ensembles from abroad unless they are offering a concert that is subsidised or part of a funded tour that coincides with our festival dates
- Please make initial enquiries about performing at BREMF by email. We will let you know if we wish to receive a CD. You can include links to performances on YouTube, SoundCloud etc. in your email. Please do also indicate the range of fees involved and let us know if this includes transport and accommodation if required.
How to get in touch
Please note that we are only interested in programmes that work closely with our annual theme and combine good scholarship with imaginative, fresh and engaging approaches. Enquiries about performing can be sent at any time of year, but please note we are likely to be fully programmed by each January. Initial enquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org